“Jannsons Frestelse” is Swedish for “Jannson’s Temptation”. Ooh! It’s a traditional Swedish casserole of potatoes, onions, pickled sprats, breadcrumbs and cream and it’s usually a part of Christmas – but you can use Toonish in place of sprats.
- 2 yellow onions
- 6 potatoes
- 3 dl plant-based cream
- 4 tbsp small capers
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinches of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 jar of Toonish Tomat
- 30 g plant-based butter
- 1 tbsp breadcrumbs
- Rapeseed oil for frying
- Heat up the oven to 180°C (hot air) or 200°C (regular).
- Peel and slice the onion thinly. Heat rapeseed oil n a frying pan and fry the onion until soft for about 4 minutes.
- Peel the potato and cut it into thin strips, preferably with a mandolin. Grease an ovenproof dish and fill with potatoes and onion.
- Whisk together plant-based cream in a bowl along with capers and season with salt and black pepper. Pour over the Jannssons frestelse.
- Add a small layer of Toonish Tomat and butter. Sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top.
- Bake the Jannsons in the lower part of the oven for about 1 hour.oil.